Thursday, November 12, 2009

Dear Diary, Today I will Write Some Slightly Interesting Rhetoric...

Life spends its time doing whatever the fuck it wants, and I struggle just to keep up. Every day seems to peel past, leaving a little more of the banana that is life exposed to the stronger forces of entropy. I can clearly recall feeling a sense of purpose to time at an earlier age. Everything felt like it had a purpose until I was booted out of the business end of the safe, developmental institution-train that so many in my generation ride.

Institutionalization in general seems to have been washed away from my surfaces very quickly, some of this erosion starting just before the end of college. Presumably, this quick descent was easy for me, as I have always felt fairly 'outside' of the human race. Indoctrination doesn't take unless you're somewhat normal. My wide range of developmental problems and unique political upbringing have insulated me from normal quite well for quite some time. Not that I haven't tried very hard to fit in at times.

I used to like the internet; it was appealing to me because my body was (and continues to be, in some ways) defective. I've come to realize that the internet is actually just a stinky pit of half-true rhetoric, just like television, and its friends radio, magazines, and newspapers. The voice of the ruling class is dominant in all modern media, perhaps going back into history as well.

Back to the disturbing feeling resultant from breaking the surface tension of institutionalization. Modern pop memes claim so very often to embrace individuality, but they do not. Without fail, the main character in any given show (save very few that are likely to get canceled, or have already been canceled by Fox) is a white, competent male, to whom we are expected to relate without question. This character is often surrounded by unique and quirky characters, who are actually just stereotypes standing around, eating watermelon, and practicing martial arts. I think we, as a screen-parented society, are trained to embrace the individuality of white men. Individuality in others is treated with incredulity- what gives them the right?.

Even within the context of being a white male whose individuality is embraced, though, I've found that breaking out of the herd is rather easy... and not well-received. All you have to do is stop using a product that is a) very profitable, b) heavily marketed, and c) very popular. Perhaps this is what can be the primary focus of this blog over time. More likely, though, this will be a place where I can anonymously post random and disparate thoughts.

Links:

No comments:

Post a Comment